30 May 6 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism | Farm Foodie Fitness
by: Kelly Roberts
We all want a fast metabolism! Who doesn’t? Then we won’t feel so guilty when we eat the large tub of boardwalk fries or grab the ice cream cone with your favorite three scoops. How great would it be if we could eat anything because we knew our metabolism would just burn it off. If only it were that simple! Did you know your metabolism is related to your level of activity through out your life? So the more active you are through out your life the higher your metabolism will be as you age. Metabolisms slow as you get older because muscle mass decreases while the amount of body fat increases, in turn causing fewer calories to be burned. Your body needs a balance of water, fat, vitamins and minerals, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, cholesterol, sodium, and essential fatty acids to lose weight. Here are six effective ways to boost your metabolism.
1. Water- Water speeds up weight loss, suppresses the appetite, and flushes toxins. Start your day off with a glass of water first thing in the morning. It’ll jump-start your metabolism and make you feel fuller.
2. Eat smaller meals- Instead of 3 large meals for the day, break them up into 5 or 6 smaller meals. Be a grazer! Try to eat every 2-3 hours through out the day, this will force your body to continue to break down food, stimulate your metabolism, and burn calories. Just remember to reach for healthier choices…nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables, low-fat yogurt, etc.
3. Add spices to your foods- Cayenne pepper, ginger, garlic, and cinnamon are all great and tasty spices that will not only get your metabolism going but also make your foods taste that much better. Hot peppers stimulate your body to release stress hormones causing you to burn more calories and speed up your metabolism.
4. Don’t skip breakfast- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and the one most often skipped! Missing breakfast already begins the cycle of slowing down your metabolism for the day and can also lead to bingeing on sugary and fatty foods. Making sure to eat a nutritious and healthy breakfast every morning can lead to increased concentration, higher energy levels, and maintaining a healthy balanced weight.
5. Sit in the sun-Eat your breakfast while you soak up some sun. Bright light boosts your metabolism and increases bone and muscle strength! Who knew?
6. Incorporate metabolism boosting foods- Flax, olive oil, lemons, apples. pears, cocoa, spinach, almonds, and oats are all metabolism boosting foods. They are also cholesterol fighters, high in fiber and protein, and heart-healthy. Make a smoothie for breakfast, lunch or snack with steel-cut oats or rolled oats, bananas, almond milk, cocoa nips, cinnamon, and a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt!
You can boost your metabolism rate with these six simple steps and also by choosing good nutritious foods, controlling portions, eating a well-balanced diet, and staying active. In no time you’ll be on your way to burning more calories, losing the fat, and shedding the pounds.
Find more information on food, health, and wellness visit my blog.