23 May 13 Superfoods | Farm, Foodie & Fitness
by: Kelly Roberts
Superfoods seem to be the hot topic of discussion lately and depending who you ask you’ll get a different list every time. But some tend to overlap, so here are 13 Superfoods you should know about and start to incorporate into your diet for optimum health and wellness. Superfoods help fight your risk of cancer, heart disease, and chronic illness. They also boost your immune system, fight the aging process, and some even alleviate colds.
1. Kale- High in fiber and full of Vitamin A. Kale is an anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant to help fight cancer. It also promotes healthy digestion and curbs your appetite.
2. Fish- Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and a great source of minerals including zinc and iron. Fish helps reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and may even alleviate depression.
3. Mushrooms- A great source of B-vitamins. They help boost the immune system; they are low in calories, and help burn fat. A main factor in Chinese medicine!
4. Nuts/Seeds- Loaded with fiber and Vitamin E, they help lower cholesterol and reduce blood clots. They’re the perfect snack throughout the day, nutritious and filling.
5. Avocados- Full of fiber, Vitamin E, and potassium. Avocados are a “nutrient booster” and help to keep the skin nourished.
6. Dark Chocolate/Cacao- All the rage lately, dark chocolate reduces inflammation, prevents heart disease and is stocked with anti-oxidants to help fight the aging process. The rule of thumb for chocolate is the more bitter the better for your body. So the higher percentage of chocolate the better it is for you.
7. Blueberries- Help fight free-radicals with their anti-oxidants. They reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, boosts brain health, and aids in reducing belly fat.
8. Green Tea- Green tea prevents chronic disease, lowers cholesterol, lowers your risk of cancer, and suppresses your appetite to make you feel fuller.
9. Garlic- An antibacterial, anti-viral, and detoxifier. You can’t live with out this superfood!
10. Honey- Honey is a sugar substitute, use honey to sweeten desserts, tea, and baked goods instead of using refined sugars. Local honey reduces allergies and it can also alleviate coughs and sore throats.
11. Flax Seed- It is high in fiber and reduces inflammation in the body. Flax seed reduces cholesterol, aids digestion, and fights diabetes.
12. Cabbage- Dramatically reduces your risk of cancer and kills viruses and bacteria. Broccoli and Bok Choy are also great choices if you’re not a fan of cabbage and if you opt for the purple/red cabbage you can add another dose of anti-oxidants for the day!
13. Red Wine- Saved the best for last! Full of anti-oxidants. You can drink yourself young again 🙂 Red wine reduces the risk of blood clots, kidney stones, and heart disease.
Now what are you waiting for? Go stock up on these incredible Superfoods!
For more information on food, health, and wellness visit my blog at Farm, Foodie & Fitness.